On April 6, 2013, Transparency International – Bulgaria held a training seminar as part of the initiative of the organization for implementation of civil control over the preparation of the electoral process, election campaigns financing, and prevention of vote-buying and controlled vote during the forthcoming parliamentary elections.
The main objective of the training was to enhance the capacity for monitoring implementation by the participating non-governmental organizations throughout the country. The planned civil monitoring of the parliamentary elections will take place in three directions:
– Monitoring and implementation of civil control over election campaign financing;
– Monitoring of the activities of the institutions responsible for the preparation and conduct of the elections;
– Monitoring for identification of violations on Election Day;
– During the seminar TI– Bulgaria experts presented:
Newly introduced texts in the electoral legislations: Main emphases of the Electoral Code amendments;
– International experience in elections monitoring: Good and negative practices;
– Monitoring of elections campaign financing: Approach and main elements of the 2013 parliamentary elections monitoring;
– Basic rules in the organization and elections conduct: voting and functioning of the electoral commissions;
– Status and functions of the observers and proxy representatives
– Violations of citizens’ voting rights according to national legislation;
– Interaction between civil society and institutions for prevention and counteraction against electoral violations;
– Methods and approaches for Election Day monitoring.
The training seminar was practically oriented and the observers were introduced to the necessary skills and knowledge for elections monitoring. As a result of the conducted training were formed teams for monitoring of the local elections campaigns throughout the country.